Who Needs a Refrigerated Storage Container?
Also known as cold storage containers, refrigerated storage containers are also called “reefers” for short. While they are mobile containers that can be brought from here to there, they are essentially huge refrigerators used to haul temperature-controlled items. The most common item to move is food, such as seafood, produce, meat, vegetables and dairy. But they also do a great job of transporting non-food products, as well, such as pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and fresh flowers.
Here are a few fast facts:
- These containers must maintain a consistent temperature as they transport goods over many miles on the road and even over the oceans.
- Reefers are necessary when you want consistent temperatures that can last for the duration of the trip (regional, national, overseas) without compromising the products inside.
- Reefers also work as portable short- and long-term storage units that can be plugged into power stations on ships, or draw power from clip-on generators. This allows long trips to be a possibility, which wouldn’t be possible with other types of containers.
- They can feature secure lockable doors for the utmost in security, as you want to prevent tampering of goods.
- They are wind and water tight, and won’t be infiltrated with moisture.
Do YOU Need a Refrigerated Container?
Here’s a handy checklist to determine if you could benefit from this type of storage container.
1. You Need Access to Wide Temperature Ranges
Did you know that reefers are able to sustain temperatures between -30 degrees F to 80 degrees F? This means you are able to easily keep any kind of goods cold or warm depending on purpose. Even under the harshest conditions, reefers can maintain or even lower the temperature of the goods being shipped.
2. You Need More Airflow
The quality of your goods depends on the ability of air to flow freely through the cabin. This air flow has to make it under and in all areas, and within a variety of conditions. This can’t happen if you don’t have adequate airflow. This is particularly important with frozen goods that need to have to consistent low temperatures. If air isn’t flowing upwards, under and alongside the products, or even inside the goods themselves, the products could be compromised over long trips.
3. You Need a Container That Serves a Variety of Purposes
Versatility is the best quality of a reefer. You don’t just have to use refrigerated containers for ocean or road transportation of goods. You can apply them to these industries, events, and purposes:
- Storage of vaccines
- Floral storage
- Food and beverage distribution
- Pharmaceutical storage
- Agriculture storage
- Restaurants and hotels
- Chemical supply and manufacturing
- Seasonal festivals and fairs
- Storage of wholesale seafood
- Inventory overflow storage
- Storage of produce
- Meat processing
You can even use them for temporary storage when you’re undergoing a commercial or industrial kitchen remodel and need somewhere to store your food products for the short term.
4. You Need to Save Money With Cost-Efficient Transportation
When you’re looking to make a long-term investment in a reefer, a purchase is the best option. You may pay a bit more in the beginning, but you will experience a big cost savings over the long haul. You’ll also be able to rest easy knowing your goods are being stored and transported within a safe, temperature-controlled environment. Your products will get a longer shelf life without the possibility of spoilage, thanks to the fact that they are remaining at the proper moisture and temperature levels no matter what. When you rent, you may save money in the beginning, but you may end up paying a lot more in monthly fees over the long term than if you were to just purchase outright.
5. You Need Them to be Portable
Reefers are nothing if not portable, with the ability to move them virtually any place over any distance. You don’t have to stress about the potential for spoilage while on the road or at sea, as the refrigeration component stays consistent, no matter what you’re transporting — food, flowers, drugs, vaccines, etc.
Contact Transocean Equipment Management
Do YOU Need a refrigerated storage container? Rely on the trusted experts of Transocean Equipment Management. Please contact us at 910-483-7828 to learn more about the many sizes and uses of our refrigerated storage containers, whether you’re looking to rent or buy.